Posted on 03 February 2020
Employment of polytechnic graduates continues to improve year-on-year, despite the general economic slowdown. This year’s Graduate Employment Survey, conducted by the five polytechnics, showed that 90.7% of 2019 polytechnic graduates were employed. This is a 1.2% increase from 2018, when 89.5% of graduates found employment.
Senior Minister of State for Trade and Industry and Education Chee Hong Tat found the results encouraging, especially as they came amid an economic slowdown as unemployment rates also inched up, from 3.2% in Q2 2019 to 3.3% in Q3 2019.
In terms of earning potential, health sciences graduates continued to enjoy the highest starting salary in full-term employment. They earned a median gross pay of $2,600/month. The second most well paid graduates were from engineering at $2,470/month, and third were IT and digital technology graduates.
Like the Minister’s example of Ms Agnes Chua, a Singapore Polytechnic graduate who quickly found employment as an optometrist, we searched out some jobs for polytechnic graduates that reflect this demand.
Industry: Health Sciences
Position Name: OBS Instructor
Salary: 2,700 SGD - 3,100 SGD / Month
Requirements: Diploma, Bachelor's / Honours
Job Description: We’re looking for go-getters, who are ready to inspire, educate, guide, and mentor our youth participants by encouraging them to step outside of their comfort zones through outdoor activities such as kayaking, ropes course, abseiling, and more! Your thirst for active sports and outdoor adventure will surely be satisfied as our next OBS instructor.
Position Name: Technical Writer
Salary: 2,500 SGD - 3,500 SGD / Month
- Diploma in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or related fields.
- Ability to deliver high quality technical documentations and strong attention to details.
- Team player with good communication skills.
- Good writing skills, familiar with technical terms used in the automotive industry and be able to present concepts, descriptions and procedures in an organized manner that convey information appropriately for a variety of audiences.
- Proficient in various computer software tools
- Only Singaporean need to apply
- Write using high quality technical communication and standards following logical and structured writing techniques.
- Prepare text material with precise instructions for the manual based on product specifications, verbal descriptions and observation of actual operation and maintenance of vehicles.
- Prepare photos, pictures, screenshots and other illustrations required for insertion in to the manual.
- Organize all material in standard format required for the manual.
- Proofread the completed manuals for any grammatical or factual errors.
- Updates manuals as and when required.
- Basic project management skills are desired.
Position Name: Software Engineer
Salary: 2,500 SGD - 3,500 SGD / Month
- Candidate must possess at least a Diploma/Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Computer Science/Information Technology or equivalent
- Experienced in DevOps; Automation & Configuration within AWS (Amazon Web Services, AWS EC2, AWS IAM, AWS CloudWatch, AWS CloudFormation, AWS EBS, AWS Networking, VPC, etc)
- Proficiency scripting in PHP (with knowledge of Laravel framework)
- Proficiency scripting in Ruby on Rails is a plus
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming principles
- Strong sense of ownership with excellent communication skills; willing to take adhoc projects as needed
- PMP Certification or equivalent is a plus
- Perform design & implementation of software system projects that define the architecture, components, interface & other characteristics of an application.
- Design, develop, and deploy reliable enterprise solutions utilizing AWS, PHP and other open source technologies
- Take ownership on assigned projects by leading project kickoff, development and post-production monitoring to ensure the success.
- Innovate and lead using the latest technologies to provide the best solutions for the business.
Business photo created by rawpixel.com - www.freepik.com
← Return to Blog